Monday, November 20, 2017

GOKOTTA (Zhyo - kOt - tah)

    Gokotta is a Swedish word, pronounced zyokk-koh-tah. Gokotta means the act of rising early just to go outside and hear the birds sing and appreciate nature. The Prophet David guides us with his words, "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained...all sheep, and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field: the fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea...O Lord our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!" (Psalm 8).     
This word, Gokotta, also embodies the Biblical admonition: "Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up" (Psalm 5:1-3). And, "O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is" (Psalm 63:1). And again, "My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early" (Psalm 57:7-8; 108:1-2). And yet again, "Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I put my trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee" (Psalm 143:8).
    Being a person of intention, of purposeful action, is a sign of discipleship, that is, of Spirit-led discipline. To rise early in the morning with your meditation immediately upon your King, and your God, is the rhythm of the righteous. Again the Prophet David instructs us, "As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me. Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice" (Psalm 55:17). We followers of Jesus are to have a rule of prayer that we faithfully keep that corresponds to the cycles of the natural world. As the sun sets we are to pray. As the sun arises we are to pray. As the sun bears down on us at high noon we are to pray. 
     Each morning may we put first things first. Do not reach for your smart phone, or the remote control, or the computer mouse, or the newspaper, but reach for the Bible that is hidden in your heart (Psalm 119:11). Stand in your prayer corner, or step outside for a prayer-walk, and commune with your Father in heaven, with Jesus the Son and Word of God, and with the Holy Spirit. And God will help you, save you, have mercy upon you, and keep you, by his grace!!!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this teaching, I have never heard of this word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork" (Psalm 19:1). So those who refuse to glorify God, and refuse to be thankful, but become vain in their imaginations, and their foolishness darkens their hearts, they are without excuse. Professing themselves to be wise, they become fools. Read Romans 1{16-25).

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The Truth of Jesus is most excellent. "Let them praise the name of the Lord: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven" (Psalm 148:13).

      Delete
    2. So it goes:
      HIGH: Heavens-God's glory (Psalm 19:1)
      EVEN HIGHER: Above the earth and heaven-Jesus' glory (Psalm148:13)

      What's to make of that? Maybe that Jesus and what he did for us makes that role higher than that of the creator God. I can identify. I could see God in creation, but that wasn't enough. Now I understand why Jesus matters too. Without Christianity, any old god could have created us, including evolution. Or is Psalm 19:1 saying that you should know this just by the heavens themselves? I was there too. Walking in Linn Run I saw God all over the place. A year later after focusing on evolutionary psychology, ie vain imaginations, I went there and still saw nature but couldn't see God. That was a reason...apparently, it's not an excuse! "Where are you God?" I asked from atop the high rock. "Where am I? Where are you, Peggy?" was the question!

      Delete